Saturday, April 18, 2015

Death toll in Ondo strange disease hits 17


Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, on Friday in a broadcast, said there had been no new case of the strange disease that broke out earlier in the week in Irele Local Government Area in the last 48 hours.
The governor said this to douse the rising apprehension in the state following 17 deaths hours after the strange diseases surfaced.
He gave assurance that his administration was on top of the situation and so there was no need for panic.
He said, “In all, 17 deaths have been confirmed in Ayadi community and Ode Irele township and all the deaths were preceded by symptoms of sudden blurred vision, headache and loss of consciousness.

“Our investigations thus far have been in conjunction with our development partner, the World Health Organisation and report sent to Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. The symptoms in this situation are not peculiar to any known epidemic and so have remained largely confounding.
“As we speak, there are no new cases reported in the last 48 hours and none presently in the hospital. We have deployed trained volunteers for active surveillance and case management should the need arise.

“Also, advocacy and sensitisation efforts are ongoing in print and on electronic media.”
According to Mimiko, cerebro-spinal fluid, blood and urine specimens have been taken for examination, and that preliminary results have not detected any known viral infection.
The governor said, “We have ordered toxicology test, we have commenced active surveillance through the local government area disease surveillance and notification officer. We await final laboratory results to be able to fully apprehend and finally surmount this challenge.”

1 comment :

  1. Like what Immanuel Kish said, na aiyelala dey kee them,funny dude

    ReplyDelete