Friday, April 24, 2015

Landmines force troops to retreat from Sambisa as Boko Haram regroups


Reports indicate that Nigerian soldiers have retreated from the last known Boko stronghold, Sambisa forest, where they said was booby-trapped after a soldier and three vigilante members were killed by a landmine.
According to Reuters, a vigilante and security source both confirmed the pullback from the forest, a day after an offensive aimed at rooting out the insurgents. 
“The soldiers have retreated to Bama because of mines. They had been on the road but that made them vulnerable, so they moved to the bush but there are mines planted there (too),” one soldier, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.
However, information from military sources reveal that the troops remain undeterred and have deployed mine sweepers in the forest to rid the area of deadly mines, just at the Nigerian Air Force has stepped air raids to stop Boko Haram insurgents from amassing.
The Sambisa forest, a former colonial game reserve, is about 100 km (60 miles) from the village of Chibok, from where Boko Haram abducted more than 200 secondary school girls a year ago.
Intelligence officials believed they were being held in the forest, but US reconnaissance drones failed to locate them.
“Three of our boys were killed by a landmine as we progressed into Sambisa. We've suspended going farther,” Muhammad Monguno, a member of a pro-government vigilante, told Reuters.

Reuters

2 comments :

  1. These people have tormented us a lot. But I know for sure that soonest, Boko Haram will be a forgotten issue in Nigeria.
    www.alabekee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These people have tormented us a lot. But I know for sure that soonest, Boko Haram will be a forgotten issue in Nigeria.
    www.alabekee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete