Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I will recover stolen funds under Jonathan’s watch – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday said officials of the recent past government abandoned all financial and administrative instructions put in place in parastatals and agencies, thereby throwing the country into financial crisis.
He regretted that the impunity, lack of accountability and financial recklessness in the management of national resources which were the order of the day under the past administration have thrown the country into a situation that is worse than what happened in the Second Republic.      
He promised that the days of impunity in the management of national resources are over in the country with his inauguration.
A statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, quoted the President as making the submission at a closed-door meeting he had with state governors at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Punch reports that Buhari also vowed that funds stolen by government officials who abused their offices in the recent past will be recovered and systemic leakages stopped.
While saying that the nation’s problems are great, the President said the next three months might be hard for Nigeria.
“There are financial and administrative instructions in every government parastatal and agency.
“But all these were thrown to the dogs in the past. Honestly, our problems are great, but we will do our best to surmount them.
“The next three months may be hard, but billions of dollars can be recovered, and we will do our best,” the President reportedly told the governors.
Buhari also expressed surprise that state governors had been tolerating the atrocities allegedly committed with the Excess Crude Account by the Federal Government since 2011.
He then promised to tackle the issue decisively.

No comments :

Post a Comment